Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kanfidence

Two big challenges seem to be at the surface these days.

1. Learning the melody of songs that I have never heard before, so that I can play them.

2. Smooth stability in Kan.

Neither skill is where I would like it to be, but both are progrssing and I am enjoying the process.

I am especially getting a kick out of the relative ease that is emerging in the the shift from ostsu to kan. It is making improv a lot more fun, and is giving me gateways into songs I could not play before.

Working on Sunayam has really helped with Kan, as most of it is in theat octave. I am hoping that increased breath lenght will come along soon and help out with the longer lines in the upper octaves.

I am going to try to make a point of doing some quick vids of the songs that I am practicing (like I did with Hinomaru). Just remember, I am not putting them up because I think I nailed it. They are a snapshot of a particular point in practice, and I intend to come back to them later on and redo them for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment